The client wanted a building that would be considered 'stunning'. An inspired architectural concept coupled with Beca's numerous engineering innovations and the integrated engineering, project and construction management was put together with the aim of realising this aspiration.
Prominently located in Auckland's central business district the Auckland University of Technology (AUT) Business School caters for executive and undergraduate business programmes. It is a key component in the University's $245 million capital works programme.
Working as a tight knit team alongside project managers, architects and contractors Beca provided structural, civil, geotechnical, vertical transportation and fire engineering services.
The building is efficient, without compromising the architectural vision, functionality, or safety. Eccentrically braced frames on the building perimeter are designed to support the building laterally under earthquake and wind effects, whilst steel tube columns filled with fibre-reinforced concrete transmit the building gravity loads to the foundations. Internally, corridors have been eliminated in favour of open gathering spaces.
With no internal shear walls or braced frames, room layouts can be reconfigured to accommodate AUT's changing requirements.
Other key features of the building include:
- sunscreens on the western façade reduce energy consumption
- energy efficient VAV air-conditioning and lighting systems
- cost-effective fire engineering design, including the integration of atrium smoke control into the HVAC system
- feature stairs, upwards-only escalators and lift access control to managed lift usage at peak times
- one of the finest examples of honed concrete flooring in New Zealand
The client wanted a building that would be considered 'stunning'. An inspired architectural concept coupled with numerous engineering innovations and the integrated engineering, project and construction management has realised this aspiration.